Kilrickle National School History Project
The senior classes are doing a local history project on the events of 1912-1922 in the area.
This is part of the 'Decade of Centenaries' history competition.
The decade 2012-2022 is categorised as the 'Decade of Centenaries' as it marks the centenary of a number of important historical events and developments that occurred in the period 1912-1922.
For more information on Decade of Centenaries please click on: Decade of Centenaries
We are also delighted to have Heritage in School Expert, Martin Curley helping the school with this project.
We are looking at the reasons that people became involved in the Volunteers, Sinn Fein and the IRA at this time. We are particularly interested in local family stories which we will record and may exhibit as part of the project.
We would be grateful if you could help our students by answering some of the following questions:
- · Anthony Daly & The Whiteboys
- · Land and ownership in Kilrickle 1640-1922
- · Poverty & Hardship : 1822 Famine, An Gorta Mor, Evictions
- · The Land League and United Irish League in Kilrickle
- · Formation of the Kilrickle Volunteers and activity in 1916
- · 1919-21 Kilrickle IRA activities
- · Patrick Hogan; The first Minister for Agriculture in the Free State Government